2019-2020 Graduate Catalog, Volume 2 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Master of Science in Accounting
Director of Master of Science in Accounting: Dr. Chester Brearey, Associate Professor of Accounting
Associate Director of Master of Science in Accounting: Mrs. Lori Lasch
The Master of Science in Accounting at Siena prepares students for careers in the public accounting profession. The program is a one year full time program consisting of eight three credit hour required classes and two 3 credit hour electives. The program fulfills the 150 hr. education requirements for certification in New York and other states. The curriculum stresses ethical responsibilities, leadership, critical thinking, as well as quantitative skills. Oral and written communication are emphasized.
Generally accounting majors may apply to the program upon completion of the Junior year. Admissions are conducted throughout the year. The graduate admissions committee will inform applicants of their status once a decision is reached.
All applicants are required to submit:
• Completed application form
• Official transcripts from all colleges and universities from which credits were earned.
• Official GMAT score results (if required).
• A letter of recommendation written by an accounting faculty member at the bachelor’s degree granting institution.
• Current resume, including employment history, certificates or licenses held, volunteer/extracurricular activities, leadership positions and honors/awards
• $50.00 fee (waived for Siena College applicants)
Required Undergraduate Courses
Students entering the program must have successfully completed the following courses or their equivalent
- Financial Accounting, Siena ACCT 200
- Managerial Accounting, Siena ACCT 205
- Intermediate Accounting I, Siena ACCT 300*
- Intermediate Accounting II, Siena ACCT 305*
- Cost Accounting, Siena ACCT 350*
- Taxation I, Siena ACCT 340*
- Accounting Systems, Siena ACCT 370*
- Business Law including Commercial Code, Siena BLAW 310
- Two courses in Computer Science, Siena CSIS 110 or higher
- Finance, Siena FINC 301
To be considered for admission, students must have completed or have in progress, all of the above listed courses.
* 4 of the 5 Courses require at least a B grade to be considered for admission.
Applicants with an undergraduate GPA of at least a 3.0 for an accounting degree earned within the preceding five years are not required to submit GMAT scores.
If an applicant possesses a degree from another institution, the degree must have been earned within the last 5 years.
Students who would like to request exception to the admission standards must obtain approval from the Program Director.
Students desiring graduate transfer credit must present a written request to the Director for transfer evaluation. Transfer credit will be accepted only for those graduate courses with earned grades of at least a “B”. No more than 6 credit hours may be transferred.
Graduate Accounting students at Siena College who wish to take graduate course work at another college or university must have prior written permission from the Director. The college must be AACSB (The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) accredited.